Become a Trustee
Nomad Opening Doors is an extremely busy charity based in Sheffield working with vulnerable people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Embedded within the charity are Four Trees Lettings and Clarity Lettings our business subsidiaries.
We are recruiting to the Board of Trustees/Directors for both Nomad Opening Doors, the parent charity, and Four Trees Lettings Agency, our trading arm. We are looking for up to four new members and hope that one of those recruited might be interested in taking the honorary position of Treasurer.
The full Boards of both agencies meet 4 times per year in the evening between 5pm and 7pm. (Meetings are currently virtual and may continue to be so into the future).
The duties of Trustees associated with Board meetings include –
• Reading all Board papers and liaising with the Nomad CEO and Finance Manager to ensure clear understanding of all related papers prior to meetings.
• Attendance at meetings, contributing to discussions around such matters as business planning, marketing, communications development, fundraising, budgeting and cashflow forecasting, staffing and any other related staff issues.
• Supporting the Chair, Nomad CEO and Finance Manager to implement strategy and develop the organisation for the benefit of our client group in Sheffield and beyond.
Other duties –
Board members and CEO have a very active and supportive relationship. As such Board members are sent regular updates and documents to read and comment on in between meetings. Trustees need to be able to respond to those with comments and suggestions in a timely fashion.
Away days –
The full Boards of both agencies, Nomad and Four Trees Lettings, along with members of newly acquired agency Clarity Lettings are also usually asked to attend an annual away day where such matters as strategic development, organisational risk and project development can be reviewed in a relaxed, creative and inspirational way. Such away days also offer the opportunity to team build. Away days have been put on hold since 2020 but are likely to be reinstated in the near future.
While there is no obligation to commit any further time than that detailed above, many Trustees also give their time occasionally to social events (circumstance permitting) such as an after work beer or a fundraising quiz night, both to support the organisation and also to promote team building and team cohesion.
Nomad is a growing organisation. We have a very ambitious SMT and an equally ambitious Board of skilled directors. As such, roles within the Board might grow with time.
We hold no formalised Person Specification detailing what we require of a prospective Trustee/Director. The most important attributes we consider to be –
• commitment to the aims and objectives of Nomad
• a willingness to meet the minimum time requirement
• strategic vision
• good, independent judgement
• an ability to think creatively
• a willingness to speak their mind
• an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship or a willingness to undergo training
• an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of Nomad
• energy and enthusiasm for the role
The Board of Trustees collectively needs skills and experience in the following areas:
• financial management, income generation and enterprise
• property management
• local voluntary sector
• digital strategy
• trading subsidiaries and social enterprise
• human resource management
• volunteering management and brokerage
• event management
• collaborative partnerships
It would be very welcome if you have some experience of at least one of these skill areas.
We will invite you to apply with CV and brief letter of support, no more than one side of A4 (relating to the nature of the post and the person specification). An informal conversation/interview with the current Chair and current CEO will follow.
For an informal conversation or to submit your CV with covering letter please email Steve Rundell at [email protected] or call 0114 3210262